Western Online Teachers
If you do not meet the minimum requirements, or are not accepted by First Future, we can help you in a number of other ways. Join the Independent Online English Teachers community to stay updated, and visit our sister site: DigiTEFL eLearning.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- A full degree (BA, BSc or above)
- TEFL certificate or professional teaching qualification
- At least one year of teaching experience (online or face-to-face)
NOTE: Both a degree and TEFL certificate are now officially required by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
- Fixed-cable internet connection (i.e. Ethernet) of more than 5 Mbps download & 5 Mbps upload
- Laptop or desktop PC ... the work cannot be performed on a tablet or phone
- High-quality USB headset and webcam
- You must be able to work in a quiet place, with a suitable background - with images relevant to English teaching
- Clear speaking voice, with no strong accent (i.e. neutral accent)
- Energetic! Able to come across as very lively, friendly and engaging on camera – CLICK HERE for an idea of what we’re looking for.
1. CLICK HERE to download our CV Form. From that page, click the icon in the top-right corner to download the CV Form to your computer.
2. Record a 30 - 40 second video introduction
3. Scan your degree, TEFL certificate and passport photo page
4. Go to speedtest.net, run a test and take a screenshot of the result
Please email these 6 items to email@example.com (no cover letter needed)
Your video introduction will be shown to First Future's Partner Schools and their students, so it's important to make it appealing. You don't need to wear a headset for this. Wear bright colours, have an interesting background, use props such as toys, be lively in your use of body language, and most of all ... smile :-)
We are looking for teachers who are animated and engaging ... make sure that your video demonstrates this.
Your video should be around 30 - 40 seconds in length. Longer videos will be rejected.
The video on this page is an excellent example of the kind of thing we're looking for. Also, here is an example script. No need to follow it exactly ... It's just here as a guide.
Hello, [nice big wave and smile]
My name is …. and I love to teach English and share my knowledge of western culture with young students.
My degree is in … and I have also worked … (mention some of your work experience).
My hobbies are … (open up about this and say what you enjoy doing)
I believe the most effective way to feel comfortable and confident with learning English is to enjoy having conversations with a teacher who guides students in lessons that are fun and interesting, with plenty of congratulations [display the “Thumbs-Up”] and corrections where necessary!
I am friendly [big smile], motivated, funny [open hands up] and more importantly patient.
And I love to teach children! [another big smile with a pause]
I hope and look forward to seeing you or your students [big smile], in one of my classes soon.
Bye [keep smiling and give a nice wave]
!! Look at the camera ... eye contact !!